250 Fun Things To Do in Atlanta With Kids
Whether you’re visiting Atlanta or you’re an Atlanta native, there are so many reasons to love our city. Don’t miss our 250 things to do with kids in Atlanta. From top museums to the best thrill-seeker attractions, from quirky spots to the best restaurants for kids, we have tons of ideas to keep kids happy.
Metro Atlanta attractions are operating under different conditions or offering alternative at-home programs to help slow the spread of coronavirus. Please check websites for new operating rules and procedures.
Top Playgrounds and Splash Pads
- Centennial Olympic Park – Dance in the iconic Fountain of Rings – the largest interactive fountain in the world.
- Piedmont Park – Take a stroll, splash at the Legacy Fountain, or enjoy the fun playgrounds at the crown jewel of parks in Atlanta.
- Historic Fourth Ward Park – Make a splash at this park that draws families with playground structures, splash pad, and open green spaces.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden – Wonder through the paths of fragrant and bright flowers and enjoy the Children’s Garden and spray fountain.
- Children’s Museum of Atlanta – Be a Waffle House cook for the day and play in moon sand at this fun museum.
- Fernbank Museum of Natural History – See huge dinosaur skeletons, cool science exhibits, and explore outdoor playgrounds and nature viewing vistas.
- Chick-fil-A Fan College Football Hall of Fame – See memorabilia from football greats and try your hand in the Skill Zone at this college football fan’s paradise.
- Tellus Science Museum – Explore a huge collection of vehicles and enjoy hands-on scientific fun in Cartersville
- High Museum of Art – Admire art from different time periods and kid-friendly programs and special exhibits.
- MODA (Museum of Design Atlanta) – Explore all things design showcasing innovations in engineering, art, 3D printing, and robotics.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Center – Visit Dr. King’s his birth home, Historic Ebenezer Baptist Church and Freedom Hall.
- Atlanta History Center – Explore our city and state’s history from the perspective of Civil War soldiers, Native Americans, and civil rights leaders.
- Center for Civil and Human Rights – Connect the American Civil Rights Movement to today’s Global Human Rights Movements with powerful imagery, artifacts and activities.
- Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum – Walk into a life-scale replica of the Oval Office and more interactive exhibits displays about President Jimmy Carter.
- Wren’s Nest – Tour the home of author Joel Chandler Harris, where he penned Brer Rabbit tales.
Free Things to Do
- Atlanta BeltLine – See Atlanta in a new way with trails, walkways, shops, and playgrounds connecting local neighborhoods.
- Georgia Capitol Museum – Tour the “Gold Dome” and learn about Georgia’s history and government.
- Fernbank Science Center – Bask in the 4K resolution laser system as you learn about the solar system.
Not-to-Miss Family Attractions
- Zoo Atlanta – Meet animals of all species or climb high above like tree-dwelling animals in the new Treetop Trail.
- Georgia Aquarium – Enjoy the dolphin and sea lion shows and thousands of of fish and sea life.
- World of Coca-Cola – Visit The Vault, sing along to Coke commercials, and taste drinks from around the globe.
- SkyView Atlanta – Take in the great panoramic view 20 stories above Centennial Olympic Park.
Transportation Attractions for Kids
- Atlanta Streetcar – Experience downtown in a new way by riding the streetcar.
- Delta Museum – Experience the rich history of Atlanta’s hometown airline and get up-close and personal with some massive airplanes.
- MARTA – Avoid the hassle of driving to well-known attractions, popular events and off-the-beaten path adventures.
- Southeastern Railway Museum – See about 90 items of rolling stock including historic Pullman cars, vintage buses, and classic steam locomotives.
- The Southern Museum – Experience the history of railroads in the South through models and hands-on activities.
- The Varsity – What’ll ya have? No visit to Atlanta is complete without a meal at The Varsity.
- Ponce City Market – Once an Sears distribution center, PCM is now full of delicious eateries and popular shops.
- The Colonnade – Serving up delicious fried chicken – and plenty of other Southern classics – since 1927!
- Sweet Auburn Curb Market – Foodies will love the options from barbecue to crepes to soul food. Kids can indulge in burgers and dogs, too.
- Original Chick-fil-A Dwarf House – Grab a chicken sandwich and fresh lemonade at the first restaurant in the vast CFA empire.
Theatre for Kids
- The Center for Puppetry Arts – See a world-class puppet show and puppetry exhibits from different eras and countries, including lots of Muppets!
- Alliance Theatre – Catch a show for kids 0-5 as well as performances for older children and teens.
- Serenbe – This rural planned community has a chill vibe and fun outdoor theatre shows.
- Chattahoochee Nature Center – Explore the Chattahoochee River watershed through exhibits, live animal habitats and hands-on fun.
- Gibbs Garden – View over 20 million daffodils of 100 different varieties.
- Dunwoody Nature Center – Climb trees, slide down the great playground, play with the frogs or romp up the river bank.
- Arabia Mountain National Heritage Area – Two massive granite outcrops and dozens of rare plants provide plenty of views along the way.
Activities for Teenagers
- Escape Rooms Atlanta – Bring problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude to an outing at an escape room.
- Get Spooked – Walk around old mansions, cemeteries and paranormal hot spots for spooky frights.
Action Packed Things to Do
- Six Flags Over Georgia– Thrill-seekers looking to soar on roller coasters, or those looking for a more tame adventure, will love this park.
- Indoor Skydiving at iFly – Thoroughly enjoy the adrenaline rush of indoor skydiving on Cobb Parkway in Atlanta.
Quirky Things to Do
- Oakland Cemetery– Walks through the historic cemetery to reveal the rich history behind each gravestone.
- Hunt for Tiny and Secret Doors– Go on a family scavenger hunt for the tiny and hidden doors of Atlanta.
- TinyTowne Drive Safely – Kids will have a blast driving miniature cars of all shapes and sizes.
- The StarLight Drive-In – Metro Atlanta’s only drive-in theater shows films on multiple screens.
- Ponce City Market – Browse top-notch shops including big names like JCrew and smaller stores like Rhen’s Nest Toy Shop.
- IKEA at Atlantic Station – Parents love IKEA for its functional, affordable furniture, and kids love its play area (Småland) and yummy snacks.
- CNN Center – Tour the CNN studios and the learn about the creation of live global news broadcasts.
- Atlanta Movie Tours – Get the inside scoop on the film industry in Georgia.
- Braves Truist Park – From the children’s area to a huge Braves symbol made of LEGOs, there is so much to do before the first pitch.
- Atlanta United – Get excited with thousands of Atlantans about the new soccer team in town.
- Atlanta Motor Speedway – Visit to see a NASCAR race, Thursday Thunder race or jump into the seat of a racecar in one of the driving schools.
- The Fox Theatre – Stop by this landmark for a show, or take a behind-the-scenes guided tour.
- Public Art Tour – Take a self-guided walking tour of Downtown Atlanta by visiting more than 100 unique works of art.
Take in the View
- Stone Mountain Park – Don’t miss SkyHike as you trek through the treetops on this adventure course.
- Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park – Hike to the top or take a shuttle bus to snag spectacular sweeping views of Atlanta.
- The Sun Dial – Have a meal, or just take in the 360-degree panoramic view of Atlanta’s skyline.
Cool Neighborhoods to Explore
- Buckhead – This posh area of town has plenty to offer parents and kids.
- Marietta Square – Historical sites and tree-filled parks blend with contemporary attractions and huge festivals.
- Inman Park – Enjoy parks, treelined streets, and plenty of opportunities to eat and drink.
- Grant Park – Play and eat in Grant Park, one of Atlanta’s oldest and most eclectic neighborhoods.
- Decatur – Decatur is a hub of good food, lots of fun, and ample places to enjoy fresh air.
- Brookhaven – Brookhaven is an oasis in the city with tree-lined streets, parks and lots of family-friendly activities.
- Midtown Atlanta – A vibrant arts hub, families will encounter world-class shows and art displays.
- Smyrna and Vinings – The Smyrna-Vinings area is a hot spot for outdoor and indoor fun, family festivals, and unique restaurants.
- Acworth – Acworth provides many leisure opportunities for families, foodies, and outdoor enthusiasts alike.
- Avondale Estates – Visit Avondale for unique food, coffee, shopping, and greenspace.
- Roswell – Roswell is a fun place for families to learn, play and experience art and nature.
- East Cobb – The green spaces, popular attractions, outdoor events and tasty restaurants offer plenty for families to do.
- East Atlanta – Its residents, pretty much the epitome of cool, frequent the area’s funky shops and amazing restaurants.
- Stone Mountain Village – Explore buildings standing since the 1800s, the Freedom Bell, the city’s original train depot and a 1914 train caboose.
More Kid-Friendly Things to Do in Metro Atlanta
5 Things to Know about Atlanta CityPASS
Atlanta CityPASS is a packaged selection of attractions at a savings, with perks to go with them.
Best Water Playgrounds and Splash Pads in Atlanta
What better way to cool off than to splash around in one of the Atlanta’s totally cool water features?
60+ Best Baby and Toddler Activities in Atlanta
Spend time with your baby or toddler making music, being artistic, connecting with nature, and staying active.
The Best Kid-Friendly Restaurants in Atlanta
Atlanta’s food scene has exploded and with this came a lot of great kid-friendly restaurants.
Kids Eat Free Restaurants in Atlanta
Eating out with your family can sometimes be pricey – we rounded up a list of the places where kids eat free.
Atlanta’s 75 Best Parks and Playgrounds
We rounded up the top playgrounds and play places around metro Atlanta for every type of play.
5 Atlanta Area Parks Your Dogs and Kids Will Love
Explore an Atlanta park loved by both kids and dogs!
8 Top-Notch Children’s Theaters in Atlanta
These metro Atlanta theater companies have developed colorful and engaging series for the entire family.
Guide to Dollar Movie Theaters in Atlanta
These theaters offer a chance to see recent or current movies without the expensive prices.
Best Bike Trails Around Atlanta
Have fun with your family pedaling all over the city and suburbs.
Best Atlanta Rock Climbing Experiences for Families
Families with younger or older children can challenges their bodies and minds together.
7 Drop-in Art Spots in Atlanta
Kids unleash their inner Matisse at these open studios and drop-in art classes.
Get Bouncing! Jump and Trampoline Places in Atlanta
Grab some socks and let the kids get their jump on.
Best Ice Cream, Snow Cones and Frozen Pops in Atlanta
Grab a sweet treat from ice cream to frozen pops at these local spots. .
6 Atlanta Candy Stores to Satisfy Any Sweet Tooth
These stores offer nostalgic, old-fashioned candy store and homemade treats.
6 Top Kid-Friendly Coffee Shops
Five coffee shops that welcome families with more than just an open door.
Your Top Guide to Atlanta Farmers Markets
Get fresh fruits and vegetables, a sweet snack, hands-on kids programs, and fun local music.
6 Best Skyline Views of Atlanta
What’s the best view of Atlanta’s cityscape? These are Atlanta Parent’s favorites.
Best Local Kids Toy Stores
Find unique, specialty or just super cool gifts at one of Atlanta’s mom and pop shops.
Top Kids’ Bookstores in Atlanta
Atlanta has all kinds of bookstores from small, local shops and specialty stores to giant national chains.
Best Mall Play Spaces in Metro Atlanta
Nothing beats mall play areas in Atlanta for free, energy-burning fun.
5 Great Local Kids Clothing Stores
Check out these awesome local stores to find special outfits for every occasion.
10+ Roller Skating Rinks Around Atlanta
Roller skating in Atlanta is good exercise and is great fun for all ages.
15 Volunteer Opportunities for Kids in Atlanta
Atlanta boasts plenty of ways for all ages of kids to lend a hand, alongside their parents.
7 Not-to-Miss Outdoor Sculpture Areas in Atlanta
Go on a sculpture scavenger hunt around Atlanta, you never know what you may find…a giant popsicle?
12 Working Tours Around Atlanta
Kids will love learning how stuff is made during these tours of working businesses.
Best Places to Go Stargazing in Atlanta
Visit one of these Atlanta planetariums or observatories to scan the night skies.
Kid-Friendly Nature Centers in Metro Atlanta
We’ve found twelve preserves that provide perfect opportunities for your family to get back to nature.
20 Best Nature Walks and Hikes for Kids in Atlanta
Atlanta is home to many beautiful spots for an easy hike or nature walk with the family.
Best Kid-Friendly Horseback Riding Around Atlanta
Saddle up at one of these Atlanta area stables where beginners can take the reins and learn about horse care.
Best Putt-Putt Golf Courses for Kids Around Atlanta
Around Atlanta, there are a variety of mini golf courses, some with unique twists and cool features.
The Cat’s Meow: Cat Cafes in Atlanta
The international trend of playing with animals while enjoying a drink or snack has made its way to Atlanta.
10+ Family-Friendly Local Breweries in Metro Atlanta
Visiting a brewery doesn’t have to be all about the beer tasting.
Top Field Trips in Atlanta
Look through our planner for group activities and rates at a variety of destinations.