How to Dress to Impress for Trick-or-Treating
We’ve got some creative ideas to inspire your costume choices this Halloween. And, if you want to keep it classic, we have some easy DIY costume suggestions.
Table of Contents
Embrace Pop Culture
Punch a ticket from this year’s biggest movies and shows for Halloween costume inspiration. From blasts from the past, “Hocus Pocus” to the new Georgia-centric “Stranger Things,” what you love to watch makes for a great outfit.
- “Top Gun: Maverick:” Pick up a jumpsuit and some aviators to replicate the Navy pilots.
- Dress up as Thor, Doctor Strange or She-Hulk to celebrate the latest hits of the expanding Marvel universe. Or look to the future with a Black Panther costume in honor of “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” premiering on November 11.
- Excited for the “Hocus Pocus” sequel and have three daughters? Dress them as the Sanderson sisters for a spooky good time.
- Travel to the Upside Down as one of the heroic friends from “Stranger Things,” or make it creepy by buying a Demogorgon costume.
- What side are you on? With this year’s release of “Obi-Wan Kenobi,” choose the light or dark side of the force.
- Return to the terrifying world of dinosaurs with “Jurassic World: Dominion” by dressing as one of the famous scientists or dangerous dinosaurs. Vary the roles, so everyone in the family has a different part to play.
- Although “Encanto” was a 2021 release, the movie came out after Halloween, meaning no one in your family got to show their appreciation for the Madrigal family – now’s your chance!
Make It a Family Affair
Cute costumes are easy when the whole family dresses up! Take your inspiration from famous families, games, TV shows or movies to make sure everyone in your family has a role that suits them best.
- Solve mysteries when you dress up as the Scooby-Doo Gang. Bonus points if you can get your cute dog to dress as Scooby!
- Travel somewhere over the rainbow with “Wizard of Oz” costumes. The website, wizardofozcostumes.com, is dedicated to the beloved movie with outfits for adults and kids.
- Whodunit?! Clue is a classic with six different suspects to choose from. Dress as Professor Plum, Colonel Mustard or Miss Scarlet, and use the possible weapons as props.
- It’s a super sweet time with Candy Land-inspired looks. Plus, you can DIY them for a fun pre-Halloween project!
- Go over-the-top as the Rose family from “Schitt’s Creek,” keep it classic with “The Flintstones,” be heroic with “The Incredibles,” or make it creepy and kooky with “The Addams Family.”
Where to Shop
- Spirit Halloween. Multiple metro Atlanta locations. spirithalloween.com
- PartyCity. Multiple metro Atlanta locations. partycity.com
- America’s Thrift Store. 2949 Canton Rd., Marietta. americasthrift.com
- Goodwill. Multiple metro Atlanta locations. goodwill.org
- Need an adaptive costume? Check out Disney and Target’s lines.
Top 10 Costumes of 2021
- Cruella de Vil
- Harley Quinn