100 Days of Summer: Week 5
Gaze at Butterflies
Learn more about butterflies, pollinator plants and more at these events and attractions.
- A Garden With Wings Butterfly House at Smith-Gilbert Gardens. July 1-31.
- Butterfly Encounter at Chattahoochee Nature Center. Through Aug. 8.
- Cecil B. Day Butterfly Center at Callaway Gardens. Daily, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Go on a virtual safari through Africa with stops in South Africa, Botswana, Kenya and Tanzania with WILD: Safari Experience, opening July 1. See animals in their native habitats, and marvel over the immersive experience’s sights, sounds and scents.
An Artistic Adventure
Head to one of these attractions to view amazing art displays. Find more exhibits here.
- Experience Van Gogh’s paintings as two-story projections in the fantastic Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience. Separate galleries also chronicle his life, technique and influence with information, recreations and interactive displays at Pullman Yards.
- At the High Museum of Art, see the brilliance of twentieth-century artmakers Alexander Calder and Pablo Picasso, and view innovative and interesting electric lighting from the last century. On the second Sunday of each month, explore their permanent and special collections of art for free.
- Atlanta Botanical Garden’s SUPERnatural: Aerial Art in Motion, Glass Art in Bloom features a custom “skynet” with a flock of colorful birds and 150 pieces of oversized plant sculptures for a delightful outdoor art exploration.
Head to Vines Garden Railroad to see miniature trains travel through more than 1,000 feet of tracks, a 25-foot bridge, tunnels, an airport, towns and villages in a beautiful garden setting. Open on the first and third Saturday of the month.
Kids of all ages can experience the pageantry, prestige and excitement of running a race with the Peachtree Junior, held on July 2. Ages 6-14 can run the Mile, while ages 6 and younger run the Dash.