Why Moms of Kids with Special Needs Rock
By Atlanta Parent Editorial . May 16, 2020
Why Moms of Kids with Special Needs Rock:
- Because we never thought that “doing it all” would mean doing this much. But we do do it all – and then some.
- Because we’ve discovered patience we never knew we had.
- Because we are willing to do something 10 times, 100 times or 1,000 times if that’s what it takes for our kids to learn something new.
- Because we have heard doctors tell us the worst, and we’ve refused to believe them. Take that, naysaying doctors of the world!
- Because we have bad days and breakdowns and bawl-fests, and then we pick ourselves up and keep right on going.
- Because we gracefully handle the stares, the comments, the rude remarks. (Well, mostly gracefully.)
- Because we give our kids with special needs endless love, and then we still have so much love left for our other kids, our husbands, our families. And our hairstylists, of course.
- Because we are strong. Man, are we strong. Who knew we could be this strong?
- Because we inspire one another in this crazy blogosphere every single day.
- Because we aren’t just moms, wives, cooks, cleaners, chauffeurs and women who work. We are moms, wives, cooks, cleaners, chauffeurs, women who work, physical therapists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, teachers, researchers, nurses, coaches and cheerleaders. Whew!
- Because we are more selfless than other moms. Our kids need us more.
- Because we work overtime every single day.
- Because we also worry overtime, but we work it through. Or we eat chocolate or gourmet cheese (which aren’t reimbursable by insurance as mental-health necessities, but should be).
- Because we understand our kids better than anyone else –even if they can’t talk; even if they can’t gesture; even if they can’t look us in the eye. We know. We just know.
This originally appeared in Love That Max blog.